Saturday, October 25, 2008

SNL Weekend Update Thursday October 23rd, 2008

SNL Weekend Update Thursday
October 23rd, 2008

Opening Debate Sketch.
I'm not sure why, but I was hoping that Will Ferrell would come back and play George W. Bush for old time's sake. Seeing it happen is sorta like comfort food to this longtime SNL fan. And as a bonus, it frees Jason Sudeikis up to play Todd Palin again. He just has to let the goatee do the talking and it cracks me up. Now if they could just have Dana Carvey come back and play George Bush Sr., I'd be a happy camper. The sketch felt a bit more partisan than any of the openers so far, and considering how close the election is getting, that's FINE BY ME. Great timing since a lot of the news today focused on McCain trying to distance himself from W.

Weekend Update part 1.
Fred Armisen's interactive electoral map reminded me of a Daily Show bit, but it won me over by the time he moved Oregon so it was surrounded by water (dangerous). My favorite joke was about Madonna's adopted child heading off to Baby Yoga, but I don't know if it was smart to end on a retread of Kenan Thompson's "fix it" financial expert. It was cute the first time, but not strong enough to milk again without something good to follow it up.

Weekend Update part 2.
Andy threw up on Jorma! It's always nice to see cameos by the writing staff.

It's lame that Amy and Seth say that they'll be right back just so we are forced to watch commercials until they return to say the show is over (I guess a lot of other shows do that, too these days--but I don't notice it as much). I guess it's worth it to see Tina and Will be silly on the set pieces.

And what's this about an SNL Presidential Bash on November 3rd?

CLIP:

No comments: